Monday, August 25, 2014

Worship or Performance?

For the past two and a half years I have been part of the worship team at my church.  It has been an amazing growing experience for me.  I have learned so much about music, and have been challenged to think more seriously about worship.  As in many cases, my musings about worshiping God brought me around to a difficult question.

On a Sunday morning, when I get up to play worship music with the worship team, am I worshiping or am I performing?

This question was brought to my attention when the worship team and I were invited to lead worship at a church other than our own.  I was very excited.  My imagination went far beyond reality. 

 What if this was just the first of many shows.  What if we kept getting more gigs.  Could we become a famous band?  Maybe someday we would perform concerts in front of millions.

Then one day, I was jerked back to reality.  When did I start thinking of worship as a show?  When did I start getting up on stage every Sunday morning to perform a gig?  
I started thinking more and more about this.  In many ways I believe that working hard to make the music sound good is important, but have I let that get in the way of praising and adoring God?

I have recently realized that worship is not about the chords, the piano, the half hour every Sunday morning, or the raising of hands.  Worship is about God.  All the thing that I have listed are just tools in the act of worship.  Worship is about lifting God up and speaking of his greatness.  It is about adoring him for all that he is done.   It is about being thankful to God.  
                                                                                                           ~ Anna

     "Sing to him; yes sing his praises.  Tell everyone about his wonderful deeds.  Exult his holy name.  Rejoice you who worship the Lord."  
                                                                                                          ~ Psalm 105 : 2 - 3

                                                                                               

  

No comments:

Post a Comment